1. Iceland Entry Requirements:|
- Air Iceland Connect - For flights around Iceland, day trips, and excursions to Greenland, Faroe Islands and Scotland.
- Cozy Campers - Flexible and affordable option for travelling around the country.
- FlyBus - Provides airport transfer between Keflavik Airport and downtown Reykjavik (~ 30 minutes) for approximately $30.
- Guide to Iceland - Comprehensive trip planning web site.
- Iceland CloseUp - Travel tips and insights from a Beijing native living in Iceland since 2013.
- Iceland Naturally - Recent news and events throughout Iceland.
- Icelandair - Best way to get to Iceland!
- Inspired by Iceland - Comprehensive site on visiting the country.
- Lonely Planet - Iceland - Lonely Planet is my trusted source for Iceland and all other places I go.
- PLAY Airlines - New Icelandic budget airline starting service to Iceland and Europe from Baltimore and Boston beginning April 20. 2022.
- Road.is - English language website with up-to-date road conditions around Iceland.
- Stride Travel - Website where you can research and compare guided tour offerings of Iceland.
- The Adventure People
- Viator - Hop On, Hop Off Bus - Comprehensive site on visiting the country.
- Visit Reykjavik - Tips on visiting the capital.
3. North Iceland Links:
- Visit North Iceland
- Visit Akureyri - Akureyri is "the capital of the North" and this web site leads you to all the activities throughout the area.
- Visit Husavik - Whale-watching capital of Iceland and setting for 2020 Will Ferrell / Rachel McAdams comedy film "Eurovision Song Contest - The Story of Fire Saga."
- Visit Myvatn - A visit to the North is not complete without travelling to the other-worldly Lake Myvatn and its nearby attractions -- Dettifoss waterfall, Asbyrgi canyon, Husavik (whale watching), Myvatn nature baths.
- Visit Skagfjordur -- One hour west of Akureyri, this is the horse, birding, and white water center of Iceland.
- Forest Lagoon - New geothermal spa opening in Akueyri in April 2022.
- Myvatn Nature Baths - This is the "Blue Lagoon of the North" located on a high ridge overlooking Lake Myvatn.
- 1238.is - Experience The Battle of Iceland in virtual reality in the charming seaport town of Saudarkrokur in Skagafjordur.
- Dimmuborgir Guesthouse - Affordable, rustic cabins on the shores of Lake Myvatn.
4. South Iceland Links:
5. Reykjavik Accommodations:
6. News / Info / Events / Books:
- "Dip Into Iceland and Stay for the Warmth" - Mary Winston Nicklin, The Washington Post, 10/25/2015
- Iceland Review Online
- Reykjavik Grapevine - Site with news, travel info, music, culture geared to ex-pats.
- Icelandic Association of Washington, DC
- Learn Icelandic Online (free)
- Iceland, Defrosted - Book from Edward Hancox (2013) about one man's obsession with the people, places, and music of Iceland.
- Harpa - Award-winning concert hall located at Reykjavik harbor with events from many Icelandic and international performers.
- Iceland Karaoke Song - Inspired by Iceland.
- "How Iceland Changed the World: The Big History of a Small Island", by Egill Bjarnason - Fun read about how Iceland has been the "Forrest Gump" of world events.
- "Quality Time With Fjords," Wall Street Journal, 7/17/2021
- Every Last Puffin (2021) -- Enjoyable 2nd novel by Edward Hancox. Not about Iceland per se, but the disappearing of Puffins from the UK.
7. Icelandic Music Sites:
8. Food / Clothing / Products:
Fagradalsfjall (Reykjanes) Volcano - This volcano erupted in March for the first time in 800 years. It is only 20 minutes from Keflavik Airport and 45 minutes from downtown Reykjavik. There is a car park just south of the Blue Lagoon on Route 43 where you can start your 1.5 - 2 hour hike to the eruption. Be aware of weather and gas forecast conditions before starting your hike.
- World Class Iceland - Chain of fitness centers in the capital region with the largest next to Laugardalslaug swimming complex.
Soccer / Football:
Smallest country in the world to ever qualify for the men's World Cup (2018) and in Europe to ever qualify for the men's Euro 2016 tournament, taking the world by "Viking Clap"!
- Blue Lagoon - Geothermal pool with skin-healing powers only 20 minutes from the Keflavik airport. Minimum adult entry fee is either 40 or 50 Euros depending on season. Pre-booking is now required!
- Swimming In Iceland - general info site for swimming pools around Iceland
- Krauma baths (Reykholt) - New (2017) spa adjacent to active geothermal area in picturesque area about one hour's drive from Reykjavik.
- Laugardalslaug - My favorite pool / hot pot in Reykjavik and one of the largest in the country; adjacent to World Class Iceland gym and a large nature park.
- Sundhöllin - Downtown swimming pool with rooftop hot pots overlooking the city center.
- "Iceland Swimming Tips," Iceland Review, 11/28/2012
- Sky Lagoon - New attraction that opened in Reykjavik suburb of Kopavogur in Spring 2021
White Water Rafting
These all take place in Reykjavik unless noted.