- Air Iceland - For flights around Iceland, day trips, and excursions to Greenland and the Faroe Islands
- FlyBus - provides airport transfer between Keflavik Airport and downtown Reykjavik (~ 30 minutes) for approximately $25. Also offers stopover at Blue Lagoon prior to returning from Iceland.
- Guide to Iceland - Comprehensive trip planning web site.
- Highlander Adventures - The best in the business for guided trips around Iceland.
- Iceland Naturally - Recent news and events throughout Iceland.
- Icelandair - Now with 16 North American gateway airports.
- Lonely Planet - Iceland - Lonely Planet is my trusted source for Iceland and all other places I go.
- Road.is - English language website with up-to-date road conditions around Iceland.
- Sixt Car Rental -- Affordable and reliable option with both airport and city locations.
- Stride Travel - Website where you can research and compare guided tour offerings of Iceland.
- Viator - Hop On, Hop Off Bus - Comprehensive site on visiting the country.
- Visit Iceland - Comprehensive site on visiting the country.
- Visit Reykjavik - Tips on visiting the capital.
- WOW Airlines - New budget airline offering service starting June 2015 from Boston or Baltimore to Iceland and beyond.
2. North Iceland Links:
- Visit Skagafjordur - The Skagafjordur area has it all, best rafting, horseback riding, and birding in Iceland, as well as nature, history, swimming and much more.
- Visit Akureyri - Akureyri is "the capital of the North" and this web site leads you to all the activities throughout the area.
- Visit Myvatn - A visit to the North is not complete without travelling to the other-worldly Lake Myvatn and its nearby attractions -- Dettifoss waterfall, Asbyrgi canyon, Husavik (whale watching), Myvatn nature baths.
- Myvatn Nature Baths - This is the "Blue Lagoon of the North" located on a high ridge overlooking Lake Myvatn.
- Hotel Reynihlid - Excellent hotel with comfortable rooms and great breakfast buffet located on the shore of Lake Myvatn.
- Hotel Varmahlid - Affordable, full service hotel strategically located at the gateway to the Skagafjordur region.
- Guesthouse Egilsstadir - Beautifully renovated guesthouse originally constructed in 1903 on the shores of Lake Logurinn. Excellent on-site restaurant and fantastic breakfast buffet.
3. South Iceland Links:
- Secret Lagoon (Gamla Laugin, Fluðir) - Oldest natural hot spring in Iceland opened in 2014 to the general public.
- Icelandair Hotel Klaustur - Located in the small village of Kirkjubaejarklaustur near Skaftafell National Park, the Laki volcano and the Jokulsarlon glacial lagoon, is a modern, full-service hotel, with friendly and knowledgeable staff.
- Skaftafell National Park - Second largest national park that includes great hiking, camping and access to nearby glaciers.
- Jokulsarlon Glacial Lagoon - 30 minutes east of Skaftafell is this other-worldly sea of floating icebergs.
- Systrakaffi - Excellent café option in the small village of Kirkjubæjarklaustur.
4. Reykjavik Accommodations:
- Reykjavik City Hostel - Excellent, affordable accommodations adjacent to Laugardalslaug swimming pool, World Class Iceland gym, bike rentals, and large nature park.
- Icelandair Hotels
- Hilton Reykjavik Nordica - My favorite hotel in Reykjavik. Request an even-numbered room for a beautiful view of sea and mountains.
- Stay Group Apartments - Downtown, convenient apartments in 5 separate locations, some with off-street parking.
- Bungalo.com - Find summer houses for rent in all regions of the country.
- Airbnb - Enough said...
5. News / Info / Events / Books:
- "Dip Into Iceland and Stay for the Warmth" - Mary Winston Nicklin, The Washington Post, 10/25/2015
- Iceland Review Online
- Reykjavik Grapevine - Site with news, travel info, music, culture geared to ex-pats.
- What's On Iceland - Site run by Iceland Review magazine with links to things to do, places to stay, travelling around Iceland, etc.
- Icelandic Association of Washington, DC
- Learn Icelandic Online (free)
- Iceland, Defrosted - Book from Edward Hancox (2013) about one man's obsession with the people, places, and music of Iceland.
- Harpa - Award-winning concert hall located at Reykjavik harbor with events from many Icelandic and international performers.
6. Icelandic Music Sites:
7. Food / Clothing / Products:
- Weather - never know what you are going to get!
- Northern Lights - Best chances to see the Aurora Borealis is when it is cold, clear and away from the city lights. White areas on map show possible locations on a daily basis.
10. Videos / Photos of Iceland:
- Steðja Brewery - located in Reykholt (Borgarfjordur) about one hour from Reykjavik
- Ölvisholt Brugghús - located in Selfoss (South Iceland) within 45 minutes of Reykjavik.
- Borg - Division of Olgerdin Brewery located in Reykjavik. Brewery tours are available on TH / F / SAT.
- North Iceland craft brewers - Consider making the trip up North and visiting all of these breweries which are in close proximity to one another:
- Bruggsmiðjan - Oldest microbrewery in Iceland, founded in 2006, located in Dalvik (Skagafjordur).
- Einstök Ölgerd - located in Akueyri. Their craft brews are available at selected locations in the US.
- Gæðingur - located in Saudarkrokur (Skagafjordur). I like their Pale Ale!
- Segull 67 - located in Siglufjordur (Skagafjordur).
- World Class Iceland - Chain of fitness centers in the capital region with the largest next to Laugardalslaug swimming complex.
Smallest country in the world to earn a team medal at the Olympics - Silver Medalist, Men's Handball, Beijing 2008. Iceland didn't win the Gold in London but watch out for Rio 2016!
Soccer / Football:
Smallest country in Europe to ever qualify for the men's Euro 2016 tournament in France, taking the continent by storm.
Swimming / Hot Springs
- Blue Lagoon - Geothermal pool with skin-healing powers only 20 minutes from the Keflavik airport. Minimum adult entry fee is either 40 or 50 Euros depending on season. Pre-booking is now required!
- Swimming In Iceland - general info site for swimming pools around Iceland
- Laugardalslaug - My favorite pool / hot pot in Reykjavik and one of the largest in the country; adjacent to World Class Iceland gym and a large nature park.
- Sundhöllin - Downtown swimming pool with rooftop hot pots overlooking the city center.
- "Iceland Swimming Tips," Iceland Review, 11/28/2012
- Avoiding Awkward Hot Tub Moments (Iceland Academy)
White Water Rafting
- Via Ferrata - (Cliff Face climbing course), only one located in Iceland - Isafjordur (WestFjords).
These all take place in Reykjavik unless noted.